The Toucan Tour is a Four-day / Three-night tour at the Pousada Pantaneira on the Fazenda São João (São João Ranch) in the Southern Pantanal. Located along the most remote stretch of the Estrada Parque Road between Buraco das Piranhas and Porto da Manga on the Paraguay River, it can be reached from the gateway cities of Corumba, Bonito, and Campo Grande, Mato Grosso do Sul. While it is located in the municipality of Corumba, it is 150 km away from the urban area of the city.
This tour is ideal for backpackers that have a limited budget but want a more relaxing trip style and some free time while in the Pantanal. Compared with the Marsh Deer Tour, this trip offers an additional night of lodging and meals, but only one additional activity, a sunrise walk.
The Tour includes:
- Transportation from either Campo Grande, Bonito or Corumba to Buraco das Piranhas where you will meet your English-speaking guide
- Canoe Trip along the Miranda River
- Photo Safari from Buraco das Piranhas along the Estrada Parque Road to Fazenda São João (30 km)*
- Nocturnal Hike
- Horseback Riding
- Trekking with birdwatching
- Piranha Fishing
- Nine meals, usually beginning with dinner and ending with lunch on the final day.
- Three nights lodging either in a private room or in the shared hammock camping area.
- Return transportation along the Estrada Parque Road to Passo da Lontra and Buraco das Piranhas
- Shared transfer onward to Campo Grande, Bonito or Corumba to your hostel, hotel, airport or bus terminal.
The price does not include:
- Ice cream
- Items of a personal nature
- Refreshments during transfers
- A private guide: You will join a group of up to eight participants. In the case that you are arriving with several other people, a private guide can be arranged for your group at an additional cost but must be arranged in advance.
- *In the case that you are arriving by your own vehicle, there is a discount; however, you may be responsible for your own transport along the Estrada Parque Road, in which case the photo safari may not be included.
Your English-speaking guide will determine the order of activities. The itinerary may be adjusted in the case of weather conditions beyond the control of the lodge. You will not have access to the internet at São João Lodge, try to do your onward planning in advance. The cost is per person, not per room. Please note that for this trip to go out, there needs to be a minimum of two people arriving and departing on the same days.
More detailed arrival information is available for those embarking from: